Friday, November 16, 2012

Easy Holiday Wreath

I've always wanted to make my own wreaths for any and every holiday.  My poor front door is usually naked because I never buy wreaths...because I always think I'm going to make one but I never do.  Well I figured now is as good a time as any to try one out.  I found a bunch on Pinterest that I would love to make, but I figured I better start with a simple one.  So I found this one: Scalloped felt wreath and thought it looked simple enough so I decided to give it a try. 

For this project I used:

-a foam wreath
-red, green, and white felt (3 sheets of each color)
-craft glue
-scissors
-ribbon


I cut each color into 4 long strips (its much easier to cut that way, and we all know my struggle with cutting!) and scalloped the edges and cut them in half.  The official directions say to use a template to trace, but I just winged it!


Not too bad for those of us who are challenged with the scissors!  Once you get your colors cut out slap some glue on them and wrap them around the wreath.


Now the thing is, this really isn't that difficult to make but I found it to be super time consuming.  Cutting these out and gluing them on one by one took me a really long time.  Or maybe I'm just slow!

Once I got the whole way around I realized I made a mistake at the beginning, but luckily it was fixable.  Don't glue the scalloped edge of the first one you glue on the wreath.  It needs to be unglued, so the straight edge of the last one can be tucked underneath.  Did I explain that well enough? Probably not.  You'll see what I mean when you get to the end.  I just peeled the glued part off the wreath and stuck the last piece of felt underneath it.  To finish I wanted to do a fancy bow, but I couldn't do a nice one.  I should have bought one!

Here is the finished product:


Maybe not front door worthy, but at least bathroom door worthy!!

Sharing with
The DIY Showoff
The Dedicated House
Savvy Southern Style

4 comments: