Thursday, April 18, 2013

Powder Room Makeover Complete!

Finally.....maybe.....

Back in November I decided to re-do my small powder room; here is that post in case you need a refresher: Bathroom Makeover.  I wasn't completely satisfied with the way it turned out, so I had in my head that when the weather got nicer I would re-finish my cabinets.  Well the weather never got nicer and I got impatient.  Truthfully, I started this project over 2 weeks ago and I just finished it now.  Go ahead call me a slacker! I have never done anything like this before, and I wasn't sure where to start so I turned to the Internet. Everything I read about painting cabinets said pretty much the same thing: clean, remove doors, fill in holes, sand, prime, and paint. So that's what I did. Ok, well, I skipped the filling in the holes part...I was just going to put those hinges back on the doors anyways, so why would I fill them in!? And I use the term "sand" VERY loosely!

Here is what my bathroom looked like before:

 
 
To get started I cleaned off all the cabinets and removed the doors. I found some old sandpaper in my basement and tried my best to sand everything.  I found a can of primer in my basement too...jackpot!  They sell paint for cabinets; I'm not sure if its different than regular paint, but I bought it anyway.
 
 

 
Without a doubt the most time consuming (and most annoying) part was taking off the doors to paint them because you have to wait for one side to dry before you can paint the other and it really just ends up slowing you down.  If  I had more space in there I probably would have just left them on and painted around everything.
 
Here are all three finished cabinets:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Personally, I think it makes a huge difference and I am really pleased with how they turned out. Next, I would love to replace that old tile and get a new counter top for the sink. 
 
I still might paint that wood frame around the window...what do you all think?
 


2 comments: